The Cantley & Branton parish
Useful information about Cantley Poor's Land Trust and the Cantley with Branton Parish, including a nostalgic look back to days gone by.
Cantley Poor's Land Trust
Cantley Poor's Land Trust provides financial assistance to the poor and needy who must reside within the ancient parish boundary.
Days gone by
Memories of Branton and Old Cantley.
Useful local links...
About the parish
The parish is situated approximately five miles to the south east of Doncaster town centre in a semi rural setting comprising around 1500 dwellings in three main areas, the largest being the village of Branton, the small village of Old Cantley and a small area of south Bessacarr. There are a number of small public and private owned woodland areas and a number of public footpaths.
Branton has around 1100 properties comprising a range of mainly private housing which recently increased due to two new developments of family homes and a variety of bungalows. St Wilfrid’s CE Primary School is situated in the centre of the village with the local secondary school a short bus ride away. St Wilfrid’s Church is situated just outside of the parish in Cantley.
Other amenities include a village pub, the post office incorporated into a well stocked village store, a wine/craft ale bar and take away outlet on Doncaster Road. There is a large garden centre containing a number of retail outlets with a tea room. Throughout the village can be found hairdressers, barbers, a beauty salon, car sales and an insurance broker.
Just off Whiphill Top Lane sited on Kilham Lane recreation ground can be found Kilham Hall Community Centre which hosts the very popular Tuesday coffee morning and regular activities such as an Art Club and fitness activities throughout the week along with the monthly WI meeting. It is also available for hire for private functions. The recreation ground has a range of outdoor equipment for all ages to enjoy with picnic tables and seating, along with grassed open space for informal activities.
Old Cantley is a small village, designated a conservation area of private individual houses including Cantley Hall and farms which extend as far as the A614 Lindholme Road bounded by the river Torne where you will find the visitor attraction the home of the popular Maize Maze. Within the village, there is a delicatessen/coffee house, a home furnishing outlet and a small number of private businesses including a horse riding centre.
The south Bessacarr area covers part of Warning Tongue Lane from the junction with Warnington Drive to the section of Bawtry Road from between Rossington Bridge and the motorway bridge. Much of this area is also a conservation area with many large individual private houses. To the west of Bawtry Road, the site of Manor Farm is being developed with a large number of private houses with a proposed retirement village and associated facilities. Situated along side this is a wwell-established golf club.
Accessed from Warning Tongue Lane is one of Yorkshire’s most popular tourist attractions a Wildlife Park that hosts activities and events throughout the year for all age groups and has a separate gift shop and cafeteria outside of the main entrance area.